Women's hockey splits with Lethbridge


Lethbridge – Following a second overtime win of the season, the Lethbridge Pronghorn women's hockey team was unable to complete a sweep of the Saskatchewan Huskies, dropping a 3-1 decision at Nicholas Sheran Arena. 

The win improves the Huskies record to 2-1-0-1, while the Pronghorns drop their second straight Saturday night game following a Friday night overtime win, falling to 0-2-2-0.

Alicia Anderson had another strong performance in the Pronghorn crease, stopping 34 of the 37 shots she faced. At the other end of the ice, Chloe Marshall turned aside 19 of the 20 Pronghorn shots she faced. 

Just past the midway mark of the opening period, the Huskies opened the scoring like they did the night before. While shorthanded, Elizabeth Salyn stole the puck just outside the Huskie blueline and raced away on the breakaway. Deking to her backhand she was able to slide the puck past 'Horns goaltender Alicia Anderson for her second in as many nights. 

Also like game one, the Huskies held an advantage on the shot clock, outshooting the Pronghorns 12-6.

Aided by two second period power plays, the Pronghorns were able to swing the momentum away from the Huskies but were not able to capitalize. Out-shooting the Huskies 7-5 in a relatively uneventful second period, Jodi Gentile had two good looks from the point but Huskie goaltender Chloe Marshall had an easy time with both.

Salyn had the best chance for the Huskies in the second, off a two-on-one, but Anderson was able to sprawl and make the save.

Early in the third period just after a Pronghorn penalty had expired, the Huskies were able to find that elusive second goal that they were not able to find a night ago. Emily Upgang collected a rebound off the back boards and lifted a shot over the shoulder of Anderson for her third of the season.

Not going away quietly, the Pronghorns got themselves back into the game with just over nine minutes to play. Forcing a turnover deep in the Huskie end, Maddison Toppe found Mikaela Reay in the slot and she made no mistake beating Marshall blocker side.

Only 17-seconds later, however, the Huskies regained their two goal lead. Bailee Bourassa stole the puck just outside the Pronghorn zone and stepped into a slap shot from the top of the circle, beating Anderson high blocker for her third of the season.

Taking three consecutive penalties late in the third ended any chance of a Pronghorn comeback.

Next weekend, the Pronghorns face the Mount Royal Cougars in a home-and-home series, beginning Friday night in Calgary. The back half of the home-and-home goes Saturday night at Nicholas Sheran Arena. For the Huskies, they will return home to host the Manitoba Bisons next weekend.